Saturday 12 January 2019

Descriptive Reflection: Strengths and Challenges in Communicating

Dear Mr Blackstone

This is an introduction letter for you to get to know me better, since class time is insufficient for a comprehensive presentation about myself.  I am currently studying civil engineering in Singapore Institute of Technology as a Year 1 student.

Unlike many others in the University, I graduated from a junior college (National Junior College, to be precise) instead. I received my A-level certification in the science stream in 2015. This aided me greatly in the various natural science modules that I had to take in Trimester 1 since junior colleges are infamous for their rigorous curriculum.  

My hobbies are also unorthodox for my supposedly young age; I really enjoy gardening and cooking. These hobbies inadvertently cultivated my analytical skills and aesthetic sensibilities, as not killing a plant and whipping up a delicious meal require a certain level of finesse and precision. I chose to study civil engineering as it is a platform where my creativity and critical problem-solving skills can be put to good use, to the benefit of the public (it is, after all, civil engineering). Lego-building occupied much of my holidays when I was younger, so naturally civil engineering would be an apt choice for a degree.

What I wish to gain from this module is the ability to be confident presenting information in front of a large group of people. I often fear that what I say may not be accurate or interesting, and that others would criticise my enunciation or other idiosyncrasies. Also, this would be an appropriate time to refine my grammar and trim the frayed ends of grammatical faux pas. This is not to discount my capacity to present thoughts and ideas in a succinct and yet comprehensive manner, which I owe to the onerous drills I received while studying for General Paper during the A-levels.

Let’s strive for effective communication!

Yours sincerely

*Edited 13/01/19, 5:58 PM
*Edited 17/01/19, 8:57 PM

6 comments:

  1. Dear Daryl,

    Thank you for being one of the very first to make a post. I appreciate the detail and the good fluency in this reflection. This letter is informative, and you make a clear statement of why you became interested in civil engineering.

    There are a couple minor language issues to take note of:
    1. subject-verb agreement error
    - not killing a plant and whipping up a delicious meal requires > not killing a plant and whipping up a delicious meal require

    2. use of caps
    - I graduated from a Junior College > ?
    - Certification in the Science Stream > ?
    - Let’s strive for Effective Communication! > ?

    I look forward to working with you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daryl!

    Enjoyed reading your self-introduction post, interesting hobbies, great use of vocabulary and good writing flow, keep it up!

    Cheers,
    Hairi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Darryl,

    Your introduction letter has been a very pleasant read. I like how your vocabulary usage supplemented your language use and made the entire post more descriptive. Keep up the good work!

    Best regards,
    Wei Jie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Darryl,

    I would like to commend your fluency and finesse (it does show!) in writing this letter. It was enjoyable to read and I look forward to more of you writing.

    Cheers,
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Everyone who commented

    I really appreciate all of the constructive criticisms and positive feedback with regards to this Introduction Letter. I have made the necessary amendments and I look forward to future comments!

    Thanks
    Darryl

    ReplyDelete

Critical Reflection

At the start of this course, I expressed my goal of having the “ability to be confident presenting information in front of a large group of...